Voting FAQ

Election Day Voting

Am  I registered to vote? 

Montgomery County residents can look up their voter registration status by going here:

My name doesn’t show up as a registered voter or I didn’t update my address on my voter registration by the due date, can I still vote?

Yes! If you are legally eligible to vote, you have a right to vote. If your address/name does not match your voter registration, you can vote provisionally either during Early Voting hours at your county’s Board of Elections or at the polling location for your correct address. It is important that you receive the correct ballot based on your CURRENT voting address. There may be different candidates or issues on the ballot for the location where you live now. After the election, you will be responsible for following up with your county’s Board of Elections to verify your voting eligibility and update your registration. More information about voting provisionally can be found here:

Where do I vote on Election Day?

Montgomery County Voters can look up their voting location by going here:

What kind of I.D. do I need to bring to vote in person?

Montgomery County’s I.D. requirements are available on the Montgomery County Board of Elections website here:

Can I bring my absentee/mail-in ballot to my local polling location on Election Day?

No. Local polling locations cannot accept absentee/mail-in ballots on Election Day. If you show up with your ballot on Election Day you will either be directed to drop your ballot off at the Montgomery County Board of Elections drop box located near the corner of Vista View Drive and Third Street in Downtown Dayton OR you will be offered an option to vote provisionally. More information about voting provisionally can be found here:

If I show up to my local voting location on Election Day and there is a long line, will I be able to vote after 7:30 p.m.?

YES! As long as the voter is in line by 7:30 p.m. they will be allowed to vote. Do not get out of line or be discouraged by a long line. Despite recent years historic voter turnout, the lines to vote have moved quickly.

Can I vote from my car or use the curbside voting option? How do I vote with a disability?

Curbside voting is an option if you have a disability and are unable to enter the polling place. This option requires two precinct election officials representing both of the major political parties to leave their posts inside and bring a ballot to either the voter’s car or the front door of the polling location. For more information on this option, call the Montgomery County Board of Elections at 937-224-3623. More information about how to vote with a disability is provided here:

What do I do if I’m being intimidated or harassed at my local voting location?

Report any voter intimidation or harassment to a Precinct Election Official at your polling location immediately. Voters can also call the bi-partisan Voter Protection Hotline to report issues or ask questions 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

Can I wear political shirts, buttons, hats, etc. when I go to vote? Can I fly a flag from the back of my truck and park it at a voting location?

No, campaigning is prohibited 100-feet from the entrance to a voting location in Ohio. There are signs/flags designating the 100-foot perimeter. That means, campaign attire/signage is not allowed inside the polling location and you will be asked to remove it or cover it. For example, voters can wear blue colored clothing, but cannot wear candidate t-shirts.

What does voting “provisionally” mean?

A provisional ballot is used to record a vote if a voter’s eligibility is in question and the voter would otherwise not be permitted to vote at his or her polling place. The content of a provisional ballot is no different from a regular ballot, but it is cast “provisionally” until election officials can verify the voter’s eligibility to vote in the particular precinct at that election. Provisional ballots are not counted in the Election Day totals and can only be counted once the voter’s eligibility is verified. More information about voting provisionally can be found here: